Laserfiche WebLink
• by Hyrum Standifird under Patent No. 709312. A search of the Garfield <br />County Clerk's records revealed that Standifird sold this property to <br />Charles E. Young and Dale Mitchell who, their cattle operation going broke, <br />subsequently sold out of William Jay Nearing. Eventually, Charles Young <br />was able to repurchase the property from Nearing and it reamined in the <br />Young family until recently when it was obtained by Sheridan Enterprises. <br />Mrs. Gladys Hitchborn, the daughter of Charles E. Young, was helpful <br />in piecing together the early history of the East Salt Creek area. She <br />recalls no trappers or exploration parties in the early years, but she <br />does remember seeing the Utes from the nearby reservation in Utah riding <br />their "beautifully marked" ponies "up the mountain" to collect raspberries <br />and elderberries. She also recalls the annual spring cattle roundups and <br />the run of the chuckwagon from Debeque to the Utah line; she watched the <br />last longhorn drive through the area ca. 1919. <br />• Irrigation projects were undertaken in East Salt Creek soon after the <br />canyon was settled, providing water for stock and for the growing of peaches <br />and apples and various grains. Mr.s Hitchborn recalls that most of the <br />canyon's settlers mined their own coal from deposits in Munger Canyon and <br />elsewhere. Apparently, then, the historical land use of the study area <br />was similar to that of today, although the emphasis has shifted somewhat <br />from ranching and farming to mining and grazing. <br /> <br />19c <br />