

**South Platte Basin Roundtable
Tuesday, September 8, 2009
Longmont, CO
Southwest Weld County Building**

Please send any corrections to the minutes to Lisa McVicker: mcvicker@gwestoffice.net

Jim Yahn calls meeting to order at 4:15 p.m.

State has furlough day, thus, no representative from DNR or CWCB is present.

Members present: Jim Yahn (at-large), Harold Evans (Weld Municipal), Bert Weaver (Clear Creek County), Joe Frank (Lower South Platte Water Conservancy District), Kevin Lusk (El Paso County), Jim Ford (Gilpin County Municipal), Allyn Wind (Morgan County), Larry Howard (Larimer Municipalities), Webster Jones (Local domestic water providers), Bruce Gerk (Sedgwick Municipality), Gene Bauerle (Republican River Water Conservancy District), Bob Streeter (Environmental rep), Brent Nation (Morgan Municipality), Mike Applegate (Northern Colorado Water Conservancy District), Greg Kernohan (Ducks Unlimited), Sean Conway (Weld County), Douglas Rademacher (Ag at-large), Lisa McVicker (Center of Colorado Water Conservancy District).

Standard Reports:

- **IBCC Report:** Mike Shimmin is not present –not feeling well. Next IBCC meeting is on Monday, 9/14 in Steamboat Springs.
- **CWCB Report:** Eric Wilkinson is not present – next meeting also in Steamboat Springs on 9/15-9/16.
- **Legislative Report:**
Joe Frank: Report on Water Congress.
Dianne Hoppe:
 - 1) Tour of Animas La Plata reservoir later in the month by CWF
 - 2) 10% cut across the board—DNR will eliminate the NEPA coordinator; DWR will eliminate 5-6 positions; reduction in satellite monitoring—will have impact on all of us
 - 3) Representative Curry's bill explanation (question from Joe Frank)—will this eliminate these cuts or future cuts? Future cuts.**Don Ament:** Focus on the importance of talking with your representative; serious budget issues; thus, legislative representatives need to hear from all of us; many are uninformed.
Diane Hoppe: Social Services end of budget should be scrutinized as well as Dept of Natural Resources; tough decisions for legislators to make.
- **Education Liaison Report**
Bert Weaver: In Steam Boat on Monday, 9/14, the next public education outreach group will meet; recall summary of the survey...more info there.
Work group mission: Purpose of group is to provide water education information to roundtables to help make more informed decisions. Therefore, if we have questions, this group will assist.
- **Phreatophyte Sub-Committee:**
Bob Streeter: no meeting of sub-committee yet because stakeholders have been very active in their action steps; will hopefully have a meeting with them in the next month and will report then.

- **Alternative Ag Transfer Methods Sub-Committee**

Joe Frank: Met today; Todd Doherty not present. Summary of 3 projects on AK and 3 projects on South Platte.

Lower AK Super Ditch Co; Highland Canal project, and study of agronomics and the effects of leasing and fallowing and the actual cropping in the AK done by CSU. Discussion on value of a presentation from these groups to the South Platte Basin Roundtable and Metro Roundtable. Farmers Reservoir and irrigation company; Logan City study on deficit irrigation and fallowing—very good monitoring; public tour on Sept 22 at 10 am on that project—northeast of Iliff, CO; third project: corn growers and practical alternative to water transfers—DU projects and study of water cooperative and exchanges. Will be beneficial to summarize these once results are garnered. Also, \$1.5 million that was appropriated through the WSRA—this will be State Wide—thus competitions from all roundtables. Subcommittee then discussed if there are any issues that are missing in the studies currently underway. Worthwhile to study if there is need for more projects on the South Platte.

Finally, the South Platte Forum will be on Oct 22 & 23 in Longmont; will summarize some of the in-basin ag-transfer methods in these studies at this forum. Important to stress that these are studying tools to permanent ag dry up---only one component to meet the gap to ag dry up.

- **Jim Yahn** summarizes the **August tour of northeast water projects**; 30 people attended; tour of Glade Reservoir, Greeley and FT Collins presented details on Halligan–Seaman project; tour of gravel pit storage and then firming gap storage project. Thanks to Harold Evans of Greeley and Northern Water Conservancy District for arranging the tour.

Comments from participants that it was a very good tour.

Glade: 170,000 ac ft + Galeton Reservoir (north of Greeley) = 210,000 ac ft between the two.

Joe Frank: Interesting to listen to study of Northern Water District's budget would be 400 million but the alternative of doing nothing is double that to 800 million

Jim Yahn: Calculation that they could have stored an additional 60,000 ac ft this year—annual yield would be about 40,000. Lots of potential for environmental enhancement in the area.

Harold Evans: One of the grants that the roundtable made was for the Shared Vision project of the NISP study; concept is that with the 2 reservoirs – even though owned by 2 different entities – there could be an opportunity to pursue a multi-beneficial project—i.e. rec and environmental; For example: Nature Conservancy owns Phantym Canyon between the two; thus part of the shared vision project includes developing sophisticated models to figure out how to operate the reservoirs for the benefit of the stream between the two reservoirs; one set back is that some of the entities downstream are not permitting because of frustration over time with NISP process. Reminder that this Roundtable along with Greeley and Ft Collins is funding the shared visioning process.

John Sanderson with Nature Conservancy: Shared Vision Process—coordinate this process—from Nature Conservancy's view this has been an excellent process because of growing trust of entities; agrees with Harold that there will be a useful and thorough analysis by early next year.

Bert Weaver: Indeed, the collaborative nature of the goals behind the roundtable is keenly demonstrated in this project.

Harold Evans: Nevertheless, strong opposition in Ft Collins from environmental groups.

John Sanderson: Frustration over NEPA process has really given rise to the potential of the shared visioning process. Example: 23 years at cost of \$53 million for study in VA; after all of these years, project will not proceed. Yet, Corps of Engineers charged with the environmental process; the Corps thus has incentive to try to streamline permit processing; the shared vision

process on the northern projects is going on simultaneously with the NEPA process; thus, this effort to try to find common ground on part of all is valuable and worth noting.

Scope of this process has been narrowly constrained—focus on North Fork of the Poudre; contents of Shared Vision Process—only studying the preferred alternative and modeling aspects of the preferred alternative and asking if the preferred alternative can be preserved while still mitigate any environmental concerns or to improve the streambed.

Harold Evans: This is going on simultaneously with the Corps's NEPA process; our hope is that we can improve on the preferred alternative—then present that to the Corps. Nevertheless, the Corps is still looking at the entire NEPA process. However, the Corps is present to provide input; those in Shared Visioning process are hoping that the Corps will listen. Come Oct 31 of this year is 2 year anniversary...slow process.

Jim Yahn: After tour in August, Harold and Jim attended the Metro Roundtable; Harold presented the consumptive needs; Jim presented on the Nonconsumptive needs process; then gave overview of our processes and Jim presented Ag transfer.

Harold Evans: Closing comments: we are concerned about protecting our base water supply and they are not welcome to come north to find their water. Concern is that if they can't go over the divide, will not find open arms here. But very good session; Metro was very complimentary about the homework that we did on the maps. Metro said that they wanted to follow our lead.

Jim Yahn: Heard about a pre-agreement to enter into Intergovernmental agreement between Aurora, South Metro and Denver Water that have come together to pursue concept: Denver is going to sell their excess wholly consumable supplies that are staying in the river—they want to sell this to South Metro (Douglas and Arapahoe Counties); South Metro will pump this into the ground water to store; Aurora also has some wholly consumable effluent and are looking to generate money to pay for Prairie Water project; thus, looking toward a more regional resolution. Will take pressure off, however, there will be less water in the river; these are also looking to how to share infrastructure and water sources. Part of this group is also looking to coming north for water.

Harold suggests that we should reciprocate and invite them to come present to us.

Request for Approval of Non-Consumptive Needs Assessment:

Jim Yahn: We have gone through three different reiterations on the maps; our maps and information have gone to the State but the Roundtable has not officially approved the non-consumptive needs study; this is phase 1. Discussion? Motion to approve?

McVicker: Moves to approve.

Bert Weaver: Second.

Discussion?

Doug Rademacher: I was one of the most skeptical when the maps first came out and how it might be used against us, however, have come to appreciate the changes that were made and will be in favor of it.

Bruce Gerck: Comment that in Sedgwick County recently there were 5 game and fish guys looking for minnows...found prebbles mouse.

Harold Evans: There has not been any change since our July meeting; therefore the presentation that we had in July is what we would be approving: the maps and the description.

Full report is available on the CWCD website and can see what other roundtables did.

Bob Streeter: These reports can always be modified; we can move forward as new information becomes available.

Doug Rademacher: Other roundtables approved their Nonconsumptive needs studies?

Harold Evans: All have approved except us because we deliberated and refined.

Reagan Waskom: Yes, at the IBCC meeting became clear that all other roundtables had approved, we have been the hold out.

Harold Evans: Would like to compliment the members on that subcommittee because of the tireless amount of work that was dedicated to that project.

Jim Yahn calls question: Motion carries unanimously.

Discussion/Approval of Consumptive Needs Assessment (Part 3)

Harold Evans: This is a slightly revised version of what we discussed in July. Look at page 4: a fourth bar was added; same on page 5: an additional set of bars that totals what the gap would be; can see therefore, that if we are only 25% successful could be as much as 246,000 acft short; Next change: bottom of page 6-page 7 clarifies that the Central Sub districts are included; New table 4 at bottom of page 7 that adds total M&I and the Ag to see total demand.

Thus, **Harold Evans Moves that we adopt part 3 of the South Platte Basin**

Doug Rademacher: Seconds.

Jim Yahn: Discussion?

Doug Rademacher, Bob Streeter: Thanks to Harold for the work and dedication to this.

Harold Evans: Because I was part of SWASI I and SWASI II, I could understand the process.

Joe Frank: RE: Process? Phase 2 and Phase 3?

Harold Evans: We had specific questions in Phase 2; we adopted the SWASI Phase I as our interim needs assessment; once we asked the questions in Phase 2, Phase 3 identifies what we think the unmet needs are and the industrial, municipal and Ag requirements will be through 2050. Next the Act requires that we make recommendations for additional projects; we will probably find that the big projects are out there, but we are charged with finding recommendations. Therefore, the Act primarily asked for these needs consumption study; where do we go from here is focus that is in front of us. Therefore, we need to make recommendations.

Joe Frank: We have made some general recommendations at the end of Phase 2.

Harold: That still stands...we need to go forward with recommendations that may be new. Phase 2 stands on its own; Phase 3 is the quantification of that.

Jim Yahn calls question: Passes unanimously that the Roundtable approves Part 3 of the Consumptive Needs Assessment.

Harold Evans: Now that we have this finished—been at this for 4.5 years—now that it is finished, what do we do with it? Once concept that has been discussed—in each of the 4 areas that have been discussed—we as a roundtable should present this to our CO government officials and look at a way to disseminate this information so that it does not just sit on the shelf. This would be a way for the IP&Ps to be discussed. Have had some conversations with Doug Rademacher about how to do this. It is important that elected officials understand that we are a grass roots group — one way is to look at these four areas, and ask the officials to host a meeting where we would be able to present the study and then we can move forward on figuring out how to fill this gap. Therefore, this is where this roundtable could move forward. For example, in the northern areas-- Broomfield, Boulder, Larimer and Weld—question is to decide whether we should approach all together.

Doug Rademacher and Sean Conway concur that they are in favor of the meeting and thinks that all should meet together.

Harold: Is useful for those of us from these areas to think about this. Next who will present it...maybe CDM; this is of crucial importance.

Jim Yahn: In our areas, probably better if someone from our area would present.

Doug Rademacher: Think that it might be best for the Roundtable to present here.

Harold Evans: All county commissioners, staff, reps and senators, city councils, water boards, etc. Next, how do we politically get the most mileage?

Bert Weaver: Would need a separate meeting in the mountain counties, Lisa, yes?

McVicker: yes

Bob Streeter: Opines also that this could be a good springboard for educational efforts toward public also.

Jim Yahn: Could combine the High Plains and the lower Platte.

Allyn Wind: Agrees.

Gene Bauerle: Republican River Basin...our situation is a bit different given the situation with KS and NE.

Harold Evans: Maybe need a different way to do it in your area.

Bruce Gerck: When one has the opportunity to have so many people hear the story, it is important to keep in mind that eastern Colorado and mountain counties need the impact of the Basin Wide urgency.

Lisa McVicker: Perhaps it would be a good idea to have reiteration in the presentations such that everyone in the entire basin would be invited to the first presentation – the northern area, for example, and then individually to the specific area of their constituency.

Harold Evans: We need consensus about this. Also important to explain the basis of the Act and why we are doing this; give context about the grassroots working together at the direction of the Roundtable and we are now bringing this back to the citizens.

Diane Hoppe: Deborah Fraser—former Rocky Mtn news – she would be a good press contact and would have all press contacts for our basin; therefore, should think about doing a press release; even in a wet year, still concerned on water supplies.

Harold Evans: next step would be 1) roll out to decision maker and then 2) meet with editorial boards; thus need a campaign on how to get this across.

Sean Conway: Need first to talk to elected officials; then editorial boards...including Denver Post; However, before inviting public commentary, it is important to educate elected officials—decision makers and help them understand why we are doing what we are doing. Thus 2 fold: educational to elected officials then to public.

Joe Frank: Public would be invited, yes?

Sean Conway: Yes, of course; open meeting law allows any interested person is welcome, but this would be targeted to elected officials.

Harold Evans: Then service club issues: hitting service clubs, or for example, the Farm Show. These clubs tend to have people in them who are decision makers. So, in summary, too much work to just put it on the shelf. SWASI, for example, is on the shelf.

Jim Yahn: I see a consensus to go forward with this and if we are going to do this before the end of the year need to start moving. Need volunteers.

Doug Rademacher: I will work with Harold and we will work on a multicounty water summit.

Jim Yahn: Joe, Allyn, we will work on this.

James Ford: Upper Clear Creek, we attended to do this therefore important to have a multi-prong approach because it is difficult to get everyone at the same place.

Lisa McVicker: Might be premature for Upper Mountain Counties as the study we commissioned has not been finished yet.

Bert Weaver concurs.

Gene Bauerle: Republican will be handled differently.

Jim Yahn: In summary, need to focus on dates, lists of invitees. Important to think about who should do the presentations and what kind of format, what agenda.

Reagan Waskom: Public Education committee is staffed up and their resources are available for the group; also the distinction between the Metro and the Roundtable is not clear, therefore, we need to figure out how to point to their gap as well. This is our gap.

Bruce Gerk asks for signup sheet to be circulated to make sure that we have a quorum.

(See list at beginning of minutes...yes, quorum present.)

Bruce Gerk: Important to get information out; important to present the story to as many people that are affected as possible. How we format on it to best educate the people who need to be concerned is the issue, thus, would ask...does anyone think this is a waste of time.

Larry Howard: Not at all; very important to get as much info out as possible.

(Summary from July meeting on Part Three of the Consumptive Needs Assessment:

In enabling act, "Powers of Roundtable must develop consumptive needs assessment...."

In 2006, the Roundtable adopted SWASI Phase I as the interim consumptive needs assessment; we then adopted Part Two of the consumptive needs assessment was adopted during the spring of 2009 and focused on the following tasks:

- Develop projections of competing water supply
- Identify any unappropriated water
- Describe current vs. historic river administration
- Quantify and project consumable effluent reuse
- Summary of water conservation plans

Part Three, then, extends the 2030 South Platte Municipal and Industrial (M&I) water needs or "gap" analysis to 2050 and discusses future Ag. Water shortages. Therefore, this part three reflects 2050 numbers.

The South Platte was broken into 4 areas:

- 1) Upper mountain; 2) High Plains; 3) Lower River and 4) Northern (see map on page 2)

Took 2050 demographical numbers; website of CWCB have those numbers; our numbers came from that study—statewide.)

Vote to fill Vacancy: At-Large Position (formerly held by Tom Iseman)

Harold Evans reads from the Act about the 10 at-large seats which include five with areas of interest:

Bob Streeter: environmental

Web Jones: at large

Gene Manuella: Ag at large

Paul Czannecki: Industrial

?

Other five at-large must have water rights and live in the basin

By-laws: Same body shall fill any vacancy in a membership.

Five at large have included:

Tom Iseman (whose position is being filled tonight)

Fred Walker—replaced by Doug Rademacher

Gary Walker

Mike Shimmin

?

Thus, this member must own adjudicated water rights or their agent. Nature Conservancy does own water rights and thus because Tom was agent of Nature Conservancy, he qualified.

Bert Weaver: Therefore, question is to whether any of these do not qualify.

- 1) Manuel Montoya: owns water, lives in Weld County;
- 2) William Burnidge: Nature Conservancy

Comment from John Sanderson: William would not be the Nature Conservancy's rep here; instead, the Nature Conservancy would want Tom Iseman's replacement; will have someone hired by end of October and we believe that this person who replaces Tom would be the best replacement. Not sure who it is yet.

Comment from Bob Streeter: It would be the Nature Conservancy who would be the member; I would feel more comfortable knowing exactly who that member would be; could we delay the vote until we know who the member from the Nature Conservancy? Unless we really need to move on this, I would prefer that we delay and perhaps that at that time we could also check with the gentleman from Budweiser (rep for industrial) to see if he will be involved in the future.

Allyn Wind: If the Budweiser guy has not been here for three years, a slight delay on filling this place can't hurt.

Bruce Gerk: I also think that as long as we are working on filling these slots, it would be wise to fill that slot as well.

Harold Evans: That was difficult to find an industrial slot to begin with.

Jim Yahn: Therefore, probably good to treat these as two separate issues; so would like to focus on this position to begin with.

Greg Kernohan: Problem is that we asked 8 weeks ago to look at this; we have two others who have good credentials; I think we need to come to a decision tonight.

Bert Weaver: Have we concluded that Mr. Sherk does not own water?

Jim Yahn: He has to live in the basin and he has a Westminster address.

Harold Evans: However, I did not see that DNR put the language in per the Act; I would like this role to be filled by an environmental representative; Tom did great work for us; we need a 2nd environmental rep; but I think that we could tell the Nature Conservancy that if we don't like the person the NC offers, they give us another.

Greg Kernohan: I think that the three applicants deserve an answer and if we have decided that this slot is for environmental slot let them know.

Doug Rademacher: We should listen to anyone here who is present.

Jim Yahn: No one is here; Wesley LaVanchy came but left.

Doug Rademacher: Please clarify the industrial rep position

Harold Evans: The roundtable appointed an industrial rep; Paul Czannecki from Anheuser Busch. He has not come on a regular basis. So to fill this slot, the rep needs to have industrial contact. Maybe someone from Leprino. Yes, need to contact Paul. Act says that it just needs to be someone who represents industrial interests.

Sean Conway: Other people to invite.

Jim Yahn: As per an environmental person in this position, it is important to maintain the diversification and to have credibility with other groups so that they understand that our decisions have come through the rigor of influences from environmental, Ag, and municipal interests.

Bob Streeter: There are other environmental groups, but the Nature Conservancy has contacts in other basins, owns water in the Republican basin as well as in the northern area.

John Sanderson: Yes; indeed.

Bob Streeter: We have spent 4.5 years and we have built lots of trust and that is why it would be nice to see the person.

Bob Streeter: Move to table this action until the November meeting.

Bert Weaver: Second.

Jim Yahn: That meeting will be November 10...discussion? **Calls question. Motion passes unanimously.**

Doug Rademacher: Please contact the bud rep so that we know if he is still interested or if we can advertise for this position. Would make sense to put it at the beginning of the meeting so those who are interested can attend.

Sean Conway: Put it under old business; thus at beginning of the meeting

Jim Yahn: I will write them a short letter to advise them.

Bob Streeter: Can we discuss about the need to meet every month or every other month?

Jim Yahn: We have discussed having bi-monthly meetings, now that our consumptive and non-consumptive studies are done, what is the consensus?

Harold Evans: Would be appropriate to meet through the end of the year on a monthly basis then go to bimonthly basis.

Jim Yahn: Other issues to discuss: people interested in alternative Ag grants could present; Metro reps could come to our meeting to present.

Harold Evans: at first quarter of the year, we will have a Shared Visioning process, could have an update on this during first part of the year.

John Sanderson: The deliverable that you are paying for in the shared visioning process is due March 14, so a Jan or Feb meeting would be appropriate.

Bob Streeter: Need a meeting at the first of the year to focus on the Republican Basin; Gene Bauerle could report on the negotiations of the compliance; also, a not for profit group that is working on ag sustainability; fishery survey of the Republican basin...thus, several different focus points on the Republican that would be useful for our group. Thus would like a presentation sometime in the winter months that might focus on this.

Paul Czannecki: Industrial rep.—Bob Streeter will contact.

Jim Yahn: Adjourn before dinner at 6:10 pm; eat and go.

Next meeting: October 13, 2009.